For overnight constipation relief
- Constipation affects women more often than men. That's why the makers of Dulcolax® have brought you Dulcolax Tablets in a Pink Pack for easy recognition in store.
- Relieves constipation overnight
- Comfort-coated tablets are gentle enough for sensitive stomachs, while still providing the dependable overnight relief of occasional constipation and irregularity you have come to expect from Dulcolax®.
- Provides dependable constipation relief
- The Worlds #1 Pharmacy laxative brand
- Brand trusted for effective constipation relief for over 60 years
Contains the active ingredient Bisacodyl
Dulcolax® is in no way associated with Breast Cancer awareness or other cancer awareness campaigns.
Dulcolax® Tablets can be purchased in supermarkets and chain and independent pharmacies at competing grocery stores and independent pharmacies nationwide.
PACKAGE INSERT – DULCOLAX TABLETS
PROPRIETARY NAME (and dosage form):
Each coated tablet contains bisacodyl 5 mg.
A 11.5 Laxatives
DULCOLAX is a laxative that acts by one or more actions on the colonic mucosa to produce effective peristalsis and evacuation of the bowel.
For the relief of occasional constipation.
- The active ingredient in Dulcolax Tablets is bisacodyl. Each tablet contains 5 mg of bisacodyl. The tablets contain sugar.
- Dulcolax Tablets are used for the relief of occasional constipation.
- Do not use if you are hypersensitive to bisacodyl or in cases of ileus, intestinal obstruction, undiagnosed abdominal symptoms of acute surgical abdominal conditions like acute appendicitis, acture inflammatory bowel disease, or in severe dehydration.
- Safety in pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been established.
- If you have abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting, do not use this medicine.
- If you have noticed a sudden change in bowel habits that has lasted for longer than 2 weeks, consult a doctor before using the laxative.
- If a laxative is needed every day, the cause of constipation should be investigated. Dulcolax should not be used for longer than 1 week, unless directed by a doctor. Using this medicine often or for a long time may result in dependence on laxative and loss of normal bowel function.
- Rectal bleeding or failure to have a bowel movement after use of a laxative, may indicate a serious condition. Discontinue use and consult a doctor.
Prolonged use may lead to diarrhoea with excessive loss of water and electrolytes, particularly potassium, and possible an atonic non-functioning colon.
Dizziness and/or fainting have been reported in patients who have used Dulcolax.
Ask for medical advice in cases of inflammatory bowel disease.
Children should not use Dulcolax without medical advice.
Always tell your healthcare professional if you are taking any other medicine. (This includes complementary or traditional medicines.) Using diuretics (water tablets) or adreno-corticosteriods at the same time as Dulcolax may increase the risk of electrolyte imbalance if excessive doses of Dulcolax are taken. Electrolyte imbalance may lead to increased sensitivity to cardiac glycosides (medicine used to treat heart failure and irregular heartbeat).
Dulcolax may cause abdominal discomfort, diarrhoea, abdominal pain an abdominal cramps. Allergic reactions needing urgent medical attention, including isolated cases of sudden life-threatening allergic reactions, have been reported in association with the use of Dulcolax.
DOSAGE AND DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
- Unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor, the following dosages are recommended:
- Adults and children 12 years and over: 1 - 3 tablets as a single daily dose.
- Children 6 years to under 12 years: 1 tablet as a single daily dose.
- The tablets should be swallowed whole with adequate fluid.
- The tablets should be taken at night to produce evacuation the following morning.
- Do not give to children under 6 years of age or to persons who cannot swallow without chewing, unless directed by a doctor.
- Do not take this product within one hour after taking an antacid or milk.
- Bowel movement is generally produced within 6 to 12 hours.
- Consult your doctor or pharmacist. If neither is available, contact the nearest hospital or poison control centre.
- Keep out of reach of children.
Round, beige-yellow, biconvex sugar/enteric coated tablets with a smooth, shiny surface and a white core.
Opaque white PVC/PVDC/silver aluminium foil blister packs of 10, 30, 40, 60 and 200 tablets.
Store at or below 30 °C. Keep out of reach of children.
NAME AND BUSINESS ADDRESS OF THE HOLDER OF THE CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION:
Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals (Pty) Ltd
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THIS PACKAGE INSERT:
20 September 2013
BOTSWANA Reg. No. B9305035
NAMIBIA Reg. No.: 04/11.5/0975
What is the difference between Dulcolax® Tablets and Dulcolax® Tablets?
Dulcolax® Tablets is formulated differently than Dulcolax® Tablets to the extent that their inactive ingredients are different. Dulcolax® Tablets still contains the same efficacious, active ingredient bisacodyl, at the same strength as Dulcolax® Tablets.
Can I take Dulcolax® Tablets if I am breastfeeding?
Recent clinical research that studied 10 mg of Dulcolax® (2 tablets) showed that bisacodyl, the active ingredient in Dulcolax® Tablets, is not excreted in breast milk. As with any medication, you should talk to your doctor before taking Dulcolax® Tablets if you are breastfeeding.
What time of day should I take Dulcolax® Tablets?
It is recommended that you take Dulcolax® Tablets when you can allow 6 to 12 hours for the product to work. You may find that it is most convenient to take the product about 30 to 60 minutes before your normal bedtime in order to produce a bowel movement in the morning.
Is it safe to use Dulcolax® Tablets on a daily basis?
You may take up to 3 Dulcolax® Tablets a day for up to 7 days. If you need to use a laxative for more than 7 days, consult a health professional.
How many Dulcolax® Tablets can I take?
Adults and children over 12 years of age can take 1 to 3 tablets in a single daily dose for up to 7 days. If this is the first time you are taking this product, we recommend taking 1 to 2 tablets in a single daily dose. It is suggested to take the tablets within 30 to 60 minutes before your normal bedtime to produce a bowel movement the next morning. With experience, you may increase your daily dosage to 2 or 3 tablets, if needed. For children under 12 years of age, refer to the Dulcolax® Tablets Medicine Facts for dosing information.
How do I use Dulcolax® Tablets? Can I chew or crush them?
Dulcolax® Tablets can be taken with water, but should be swallowed whole. The tablets must not be chewed or crushed. They are small and can be easily swallowed. Do not take Dulcolax® Tablets within 1 hour of consuming dairy products or antacids.
Should I take the Dulcolax® Tablets before, after, or with meals?
Dulcolax® Tablets can generally be taken at any time except within one hour of consuming dairy products or antacids. Dulcolax tablets have a special ‘enteric coating’, which protects the tablet from the stomach’s acidic environment and ensures it is released in the small intestine where it is needed most.
How do Dulcolax® Tablets work?
Dulcolax® Tablets are designed to stimulate the intestines to cause a bowel movement. The tablets are coated to prevent the active ingredient from being released until it reaches the part of the intestines where it is needed to work.
Can I take Dulcolax® Tablets with milk or dairy products?
No. This product should not be taken with milk or dairy products. Do not take Dulcolax® tablets within one hour of taking indigestion remedies (antacids) or dairy products such as milk or yogurt as these could cause the tablet’s comfort (enteric) coating to dissolve before it reaches the colon which may result in vomiting or cramping.
For additional questions regarding usage, side effects, or storage instructions, please refer to the Dulcolax® Tablets Drug Facts Panel or contact your healthcare professional.